|Become An Artopium Member ||Index |
A whole new way of thinking just opened up and an exciting new paradigm now exists in the art, music, fashion, film, book and other major media industries. In these changing times artists now have the power to make themselves into the stars that once only the giant media companies could create. And as this occurs, you really can't help but notice how important it is for you to get your art or music onto the Internet as well, so that you can also be in the Internet limelight. Can you imagine what it might be like to be able to pay your rent and your bills from the sale of your art or music? Imagine, you finally get the recognition you derserve for your craft. It may be that you'll enjoy putting more time into your art and music because you no longer have to work a day job. Wouldn't that be nice? And it's so easy!
Naturally, Artopium.com provides artists such as yourself free hosting of audio, video and image files to help display and promote your creative works on a neatly organized profile page. And you might be pleased to discover that you can then accept credit cards online for your art, music, fashion, film or book from a global audience. Sign up is absolutely free!
So what are you waiting for, sign up to Artopium.com right now!
Add Creative Works
Add "Creative Works" (i.e. artwork, music, fashion etc. that you have created) to your profile to display or sell. Artopium allows artists to accept credit cards online for their work, and gives your art exposure world wide. Artopium will also host your multimedia files so you can reach your audience in a professional manner. See the section Adding, Editing and Removing Products for more information.
Statistics & Ratings
The statistics section is represented by a 3D bar graph that depicts the total number of hits your profile has received. Rating points are earned initially by how many words are typed into your Creative works and profile descriptions, and then are accumulated by various visitor actions. Rating points determine the placement of Creative Works in the Artopium search results. For more information on how statistics and ratings are compiled see the help topic Statistics & Ratings.
The Orders section provides you with the information you need to ship your tangible works to your customers, provide your customers with tracking information, and see the status of your payments. See the help section on Purchases & Shipping for more information on how Artopium transactions for tangible works are handled.
Main Account Information
The last three sections of the member's page are for changing your main account information, updating reviews submitted by onlookers of your work, and getting member support.
|Adding, Editing & Removing Creative Works ||Index |
To add an Creative Work you must first become an Artopium member. Becoming a member as well as adding products to the Artopium database is completely free!
Adding A Creative Work
To add a "Creative Work" go to the Creative Works page by logging in (Click on My Artopium and enter your log in information. If you are already logged in clicking My Artopium will automatically direct you to the summary page of your account). To add a Creative Work, begin by selecting the medium (music, video, fashion, film and video or books) from the drop down menu then click the button labled "Add". For example, if you are a musician who wants to sell your CD, choose "Music" and click "Add". If you are a painter or gallery interested in selling or showing original artwork or prints, choose "Art" and click "Add". A new page will appear for you to enter information about your Creative Work and allow you to upload multimedia files associated with that work. You may enter as many products of as many different types as you like.
On all forms, regardless of product medium, you will be asked for some form of multimedia to put in along with your product entry. Please see the help section Using URLs & Multimedia for further information on this.
Note: Artopium is categorized primarily by quality of entry made by the artist. Creative Works that have a picture uploaded (this is the image you upload when creating the Creative Work, not your profile image) are always higher than those without, and Creative Works that are for sale are always higher than those that are not. In other words, the Artopium search results are ordered from top to bottom as such: For sale, with a picture; Not for sale, with a picture; For sale, without a picture; Not for sale, without a picture. Since there are many Creative Works that are for sale on Artopium, to reach the top spot in the results your Creative Work must have a picture uploaded and must also be for sale.
Using The Pricing Tool
To use the pricing tool, enter a price then click anywhere outside the input box to calculate the difference. For example, you may enter the price you would like Artopium customers to see, the click on the page but outside the box somewhere and your net profit will automatically be calculated. Like-wise, you may enter the net profit you'd like to receive to calculate the price seen.
Editing A Product
To edit a product, log in with your email and password (see Being an Artopium Member) and go to the Creative Works page. Click the "Edit" link next to the item you wish to edit (see Adding a Product). Edit any information you wish then click the button labeled "Save Changes" at the bottom of the window.
Note: Regardless of the changes you make, you are still obligated to fulfill any sales that occur before you made the change, with the original product. For instance, if you have a music album for sale, and several copies have been purchased but the transactions have not yet been completed (see the help section on Purchases & Shipping for more information on Artopium transactions), and you change the title of the album, you are still responsible for providing an album with the original title to the awaiting buyers. To give another example, if you are selling black leather jackets in the fashion section of Artopium and you change the medium of the jacket to vinyl instead of leather, you are still responsible for providing leather jackets to anyone who has purchased this product before you made the change. This is especially true if you change the price! If, for some reseaon, you cannot provide the original product (you ran out of leather jackets before you knew it), please contact us and we will help you resolve this issue by either cancelling the order or seeing if the buyer would mind the change.
Removing A Product
To remove a product from the Artopium database, log in with your email and password (see Being an Artopium Member) and go to the Creative Works page. Click the "Delete" link next to the item you wish to delete (see Adding a Product).
Note: you are still responsible for any sales that have been made before the product was removed. See Editing A Product for more information on this.
Also Note: removing a product from the Artopium database removes all related information for that product as well, such as statistics and ratings. If you simply do not wish to sell your product anymore, but would like to have it remain on the Artopium database so it can accumulate rating points, etc., follow the steps outlined in Editing A Product for changing the "I'm not selling" checkbox in the product pop-up form. Product entries that are for sale will be listed above those that are not in the Artopium search results.
Uploading A File
Simply click the link labeled "Browse" and a pop-up box will appear from which you can select a file from your computer. Please note the following:
1) Uploading may take anywhere from 5 seconds to 30 minutes. This can depend on the size of the file, your connection speed to the internet, and the current amount of traffic our server is receiving. Please be patient, although it may seem like nothing is happening, your file is being uploaded.
2) The size of the file you are uploading is restricted to 5 MB. To find out how big your file is, right click on it (left for MAC) and select "properties". MB stands for Mega-Byte. A byte is one character or number such as "A" or "5". 1,024 bytes is called a Kilo-Byte. 1,024 Kilo-Bytes is a Mega-Byte. To bring down the size of your file you will need a converter. If it is a .wav file it might be a good idea to convert it to .mp3. If it is an .mp3, .avi, or .mpg file, you will probably have to convert it to a lower bit stream. this will be an option in your converter program that allows you to choose between settings such as 190kHz or 128kHz. See what bit stream your file is at and pick a lower one. Then check it's file size again to be sure it is below 5 MB. There are a lot of audio and video converters available at www.downlaod.com.
3) You must still click on "Save Changes" from the previous window before your file will be associated with your account. This is very important to do or the file you just uploaded to artopium will just sit in a temporary folder and never get moved to your account folder.
4 ) No pornography. Although we have an open mind about nudity in art, anything that is graphic or explicit will be removed and the artist will be notified.
5)Artopium only accepts files that end with the extensions .mp3, .ram, .wav (audio), .mov, .avi, .mpg, .mpeg (video), .jpg, .jpeg, .bmp, .gif (image).
Multimedia Files Allowed On Artopium
|Audio files |
|.wav ||(windows) ||not recommended ||This file format was first developed for use in windows, is the most standardized and can be interpreted by almost all web applications. The major drawback to this format is it's size (up to 20 mb for 5 minutes) and can generally take a very long time to download for playback. |
|.ra ||(real audio) ||recommended ||This is a proprietary file format that can be opened and interpreted by Real Audio as well as Microsofts Windows Media Player. Real Audio files were developed as an answer to long download times of wav files and are not downloaded before playing back, but instead streamed. For more information on real audio files, streaming and converting wav files to real audio visit Real Audio's web site at www.real.com |
|.mp3 ||(mpeg layer 3) ||recommended ||This is the newest type of audio format to come out. Because of it's small size (usually no more than 5 mb for 10 minutes), high quality (nearly 16 bit CD quality) and it's wide use, this is the most recommended of audio file formats to use on Artopium. |
|.wma ||(windows media player) ||recommended ||This is a proprietary file format that can be opened and interpreted by Windows Media Player. |
|Image files |
|.bmp ||(bit map) ||not recommended ||This file format was first developed for use in windows. The major drawback to this format is it's quality (16 colors) and is generally not used on the internet. |
|.gif ||(graphic i.... format) ||recommended ||This image file format is the most common format used on the internet. Although .gif files are not the best for displaying photograph quality images (only 256 colors) they download very quickly and are generally used for medium qulity images such as logos and web graphics. |
|.jpeg ||(j.... p... extended graphic) || recommended ||This image format is the highest quality format able to be interpreted by a web browser (16 million colors) and is generally ideal for displaying photo quality images. Download time is generally a little longer than .gif files, but usually worth the wait. |
|Video files |
|.avi ||(bit map) || recommended ||This file format was first developed for use in windows. The major drawback to this format is it's quality (16 colors) and is generally not used on the internet. |
|.mpg ||(motion picture graphic) || recommended ||This image format is the highest quality format able to be interpreted by a web browser (16 million colors) and is generally ideal for displaying photo quality images. Download time is generally a little longer than .gif files, but usually worth the wait. |
|.rm ||(real audio) ||recommended ||This is a proprietary file format that can be opened and interpreted by Real Audio as well as Microsofts Windows Media Player. Real Audio files were developed as an answer to long download times of wav files and are not downloaded before playing back, but instead streamed. For more information on real audio files, streaming and converting wav files to real audio visit Real Audio's web site at www.real.com |
|.wmv ||(windows media player) ||recommended ||This is a proprietary file format that can be opened and interpreted by Windows Media Player. |
Onlookers of Artopium artists can enter a review as long as the artist has the review option turned on. To write up a review of an artist's work simply type it into the review input box on the artist's main page. To edit a review, sign in to Artopium and change any review listed in the review input box then click Make Changes at the bottom of the page.
You may disable the ability for onlookers to submit reviews by checking the "disable reviews" option on the account settings page of the My Artopium area.
|Purchases & Shipping ||Index |
A more detailed set of rules and guidlines for transactions of tangible goods on Artopium is set out below, but for a quick description, an average transaction would go like this:
An artist decides that he would like to sell some of his paintings, so he signs up. Then a buyer likes what the artist is selling so she buys it. Artopium then automatically sends a notification email to the seller instructing him to ship the product to the buyer with instructions on how to do so including the buyer's shipping address. The seller then comes back to Artopium after shipping his Creative Work to the buyer and submits the tracking number from one of Artopium's three pre-approved shipping carriers. Another email is sent automatically to the buyer keeping them informed of the same tracking information and a staff member of Artopium will use the tracking number to verify the Creative Work arrives to the buyers address. When more than 72 hours has passed since the delivery time provided by the shipping carrier, an email will be sent to the Artist notifying him the sale has completed. Artists get paid either by money order or by PayPal. See below for a more detailed payment schedule.
|How To Complete An Artopium Order ||Index |
When an artist first receives an order it is in a "Pending" status. As outlined below in the Buyer's And Seller's Rules And Guidelines, an artist must confirm that they have shipped their item before payment will be processed. If the artists has turned the tracking option on and a customer has requested tracking, then that artist is required to submit a tracking number so that shipment of their item can be confirmed. To turn this feature off simply make the changes in the "Account Settings" page of your Artopium profile account.
Optional Tracking Feature Instructions
When using the optional tracking feature, Artopium only allows the use of three shipping carriers as these companies are capable of shipping to international destinations and provide an easy way to track shipments online. The three shipping carriers allowed are (links open in a new window):
Each shipping carrier you can choose from provides many options for shipping your item. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO BE SURE THAT THE METHOD YOU CHOOSE WILL PROVIDE A TRACKING NUMBER THAT CAN BE USED ONLINE, AND NOT JUST OVER THE PHONE. IT IS ALSO YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO PURCHASE ANY INSURANCE NECESSARY TO COVER ANY POSSIBLE DAMAGE THAT MAY OCCUR TO YOUR ITEM DURING SHIPMENT.
After shipping your item, you will need to come back to Artopium and log into your My Artopium Member Area so that you may submit your tracking number. To do this, simply find the order that you shipped on the Orders screen, then click on the red link that says "Pending". This will bring up a new window that will allow you to enter the tracking information for your order. When you click the submit button, you will be asked to confirm that the information you entered is correct. By clicking yes, you will submit your tracking number to Artopium. YOU CANNOT CHANGE THIS INFORMATION AFTER IT IS SUBMITTED, SO BE SURE IT IS CORRECT! After confirming your information, you will receive a "Thank You" screen confirming that we have received your tracking number. You will also receive a confirmation email with your tracking information, and a duplicate email will be sent to the buyer so that they may also track their shipment online. By closing the "Thank You" window, your Artopium account will refresh and your order status will change to "Tracking".
An Artopium staff member will also track the shipment of your item using the tracking information you provide. After the shipping carrier has confirmed the item is delivered, there is a 72 hour grace period in which the buyer may make any claims about the item. If no claims are made within this period, the status of your order will change to "Completed".
Finally, your order will change to the status of "Paid", after we have sent you either your paypal or money order payment. Please see the payment schedule for more details.
|Buyer's And Seller's Rules And Guidlines ||Index |
1) The buyer has 72 hours after a product has been confirmed delivered by the providing shipping carrier to report any disputes to Artopium. The buyer understands that any disputes, regardless of legitimacy, thereafter will not result in a refund of money.
2) If the buyer claims the product was damaged or defective upon arrival the buyer understands that it is his/her responsibility to ship the product in it's entirety to Artopium for inspection. If the product is not shipped within 10 business days of the time the dispute was made the buyer's understands that they may not receive a refund. If it is found to be the seller's fault for the damage or defect the buyer understands the seller has a two week grace period to ship a replacement to Artopium for inspection. If the replacement passes inspection the replacement will be sent to the buyer, otherwise the buyer's money will be refunded.
3) If the buyer claims the product never arrived, then Artopium will investigate using the product tracking number provided by the seller and the shipping carriers tracking system. If it is found that the shipping carrier reports a delivery date and signature along with correct addresses corresponding to the FROM and TO locations, a refund will not be granted and the buyer understands that he/she may resolve all further disputes with that shipping carrier. If it is found the shipping carrier does not have a signature, the buyer understands that the seller has a two week grace period to send a relacement to Artopium for inspection. If the replacement passes inspection the replacement will be sent to the buyer, otherwise the buyer's money will be refunded.
4) If the buyer disputes the authenticity of the product, the buyer understands it is his/her responsibility to send the product in question in it's entirety to Artopium within 10 business days of the dispute for inspection. The buyer also understands it is the seller's responsibility to do the same. If the buyer's product in question is not shipped to Artopium within 10 business days of the time the dispute was made a refund will not be granted to the buyer, and like-wise, if the seller's product does not arrive a refund will be granted to the seller. Artopium will compare the two products with the description of the product on the website. If one of the products is found to match the description we will ship that product to the buyer and no refund will be given. If both are found to not fit the description or eachother the seller may be removed from the site and a refund will be given to the buyer.
5) The buyer understands that where and when we can, if we suspect fraud we will contact the appropriate authorities for an investigation.
1) The seller must ship the product within 10 business days of receiving the email notification of purchase. Received is defined as the moment the email arrives at the seller's email inbox, not at the time the seller has read the email.
2) If the seller is has turned on the optional Tracking Feature, and the buyer has requested tracking, the seller must ship the product using either Federal Express, United States Postal Service (USPS), UPS, or DHL as these shipping carriers provide a method we can use to track shippments online.
3) Once the seller has shipped the product, the seller must come back to the Artopium website to either click the "confirmation" button, or if the artist has turned on the optional tracking feature and the customer has requested tracking, enter in the tracking number provided by one of the shipping carriers listed above. The tracking number must be entered before the final delivery date of the product and must reflect that the product was shipped within 10 business days (as stated above). Failure to return to Artopium to confirm shipment, or if an invalid tracking number is provided, the order will be cancelled and the buyer's money will be refunded.
4) If the seller is found to be responsible for a damaged or defective product, they will have a two week grace period to replace it. The replacement must be shipped to Artopium for authentication, then we will ship it to the buyer. If a replacement is not received the buyer's money will be refunded.
5) It is the seller's responsibility for the product to safely reach the buyer. If it is found that the shipping carrier is responsible for a damaged or lost product, we will refund the buyer's money and the seller understands that he/she must take all disputes to the shipping carrier. The seller also understands that it is not only a good idea, but also their responsibility for any insurance that needs to be put on expensive or original products.
6) If the buyer disputes the authenticity of the product the seller understands it is his/her responsibility to send a duplicate to Artopium for verification purposes. If the duplicate is not recieved within 10 business days or is found not to match the description on the website the seller's account may be terminated and the buyer's money will be refunded. The seller also understands it is also the buyer's responsibility to send in the original product as part of the dispute resolution process and if the buyer fails to do so the buyer's money will not be refunded. If the product is an original, the seller understands it is his/her responsibility to use an escrow or other such services, and cannot hold Artopium liable for any such verification or investigation of such authenticity disputes. The seller also understands that although Artopium plans to provide escrow services in the future, we currently do not. Although this type of dispute is extremely rare, if you are selling an expensive original and are concerned about a particular sale, please feel free to contact us. We can make arrangements to have the work's authenticity verified before shippment.
7) The seller understands that where and when we can, if we suspect fraud we will contact the appropriate authorities for an investigation.
Payments made to artists for both tangible and downloadable works are done in one of two ways: Artists may receive payments by PayPal, or by MoneyBox money order mailed USPS to the address provided at signup. All payments (both PayPal and money orders) are mailed out on the 2nd and 4th Mondays of the month. PayPal is delivered immediately via the Artist's email, whereas money orders may take up to 14 business days to be delivered from the day they are sent out.
NOTE: A payment will only be sent after it's status has become "Completed". An order will remain in a "Tracking" status until 72 hours after the item is confirmed delivered by the shipping carrier. After this 72 hour grace period, the status will become "Completed". It is on the following payment date (2nd or 4th Monday after item becomes "Completed") that the payment will be sent.
Artopium Commissions & Fees Chart
|Statistics & Ratings ||Index |
Artopium uses a sophisticated statistics and ratings system to help keep track of the progress of the art displayed on it's search results.
Statistics are represented in the Member Area as a bar graph representing how many times your portfolio page was hit. To see statistics for each of your Creative Works, go to the "Stats" page.
Artopium uses a rating system to further guage the quality of your artwork. Ratings are accumulated by several types of actions performed by Artopium customers, as well as actions performed by you, the artist. Essentially, there are three different types of rating points: Base rating, Bonus rating, and rating points accumulated by user interactions.
Base Rating Points
Base rating points are the most important and are the points you have the most control over. They are important because they have the heaviest weight (i.e. are the biggest factor) when calculating the overall rating. Base rating points are created at 5 points for every word entered into both the descriptions for each of your Creative Works and for each word entered into your profile comment. Each Creative Work can have a maximum of 500 base rating points and your profile comment can have maximum of 1000 points for a total of 1,500 for each of your Works.
User Interaction Rating Points
Additional ratingpoints are accumulated for various actions Artopium shoppers take, such as looking at your profile, enlarging your Creative Work image or purchasing your item. These points are accumulated over a scrolling 30 day window, so points you earn today will disappear 30 days from now. All user interaction rating points are then averaged out over 30 days and added to your base and bonus rating to form your overall rating score.
See the table below for a rating point breakdown for each action.
|Customer views portfolio page ||1000 points |
|Customer enlarges Creative Works image ||3000 points |
|Customer submits a review for a product ||5000 points |
|Customer purchases a product ||100000 points |
|Customer purchases several copies of a product ||100000 points for each copy plus 5000 points |
|Customer returns a product ||-50000 points |
|Customer returns all copies of a product ||-50000 points |
Overall Rating Score
Rating points are used to determine the order of products in the Artopium search results. Those products with higher ratings will be listed higher on the page than those with lower ratings. This helps ensure the quality of Artopium search results. Your overall rating score is displayed as a number of stars (1 through 6) below your Creative Works description in the Artopium search results. The number of stars you have is relative (on a sliding scale) to the rest of the search results. In other words, if an Artopium customer does a search and your Creative Work has the highest rating of all the other Creative Works in the results, then it will have 6 stars. However, with that same rating it may only have 4 or 5 stars when it appears with more Creative Works with possibly higher ratings.
NOTE: Despite what your rating may be, Creative Works that are for sale are always listed above Works that are not. Works with verified cover graphics are always listed above those that do not. Creative Works with verified cover graphics that ARE NOT for sale will appear higher than Creative Works without graphics that ARE for sale.